Patchwork Quilts
by Dianna Naylor on Tuesday, 27 July 2010 at 20:45
Quilts.
I like quilts.
Jeff reminded me of life and quilts this week.
Quilts evoke, to me, comfort, softness, time, patience, security. Grandmas with gnarled hands carefully placing the pattern, the stitches, smoothing over the material. Some of them are very intricate, very detailed, and they tell a story. They can have a specific pattern, and be stored away, awaiting to be passed on. If you have ever been given one, you know how precious they are.
I have one. I have had it since I was born.
I look at my life and see a patchwork quilt. It tells a story, too. Only not so much like the ones I like to envision. There are a lot of mismatched and odd patches. There has been not enough good material, and a lot of material that has been put in, because that is what there was. Some of the seams need to be re-stitched. Some of the patches need to be taken totally out, because they don't fit. Some of the stitches are too tight, and others because they are too raggedy and frayed. There are some holes to be repaired.
If you have ever ripped out seams and had to start over again, you understand what a process this is. A lot like life, isn't it? People come and go so quickly, beginnings and endings, tying knots and hanging on, making due with what you have, pieces you are really excited about, and others, you just can't wait until it is done, you are so tired of it, and you are sick of looking at it. Don't you just want to pitch it? But, someone else has looked at this piece of work. instead of seeing it as a waste...
...sees there are some good solid pieces. There is potential and it can be repaired. The Quilt is taking on more of the comforter I have imagined. I don't want to change it too much though. Again there ARE some good solid pieces, more being added, slowly, each day.
The nice thing about an old patchwork quilt is that they are simple, well worn and are very comfortable. Excellent to have around because they have held up so well over time.
Worthy to be passed on, not stored away and never used.
March 23rd, 2011
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions. —Augusten Burroughs
I saw this quote and began thinking about this post I made last year.
The "Quilt" to date has had a lot of repair. A lot of the shabby pieces, frays and tatters have been trimmed up or removed. The stitching feels more secure. It still is a process in the work, and I shall never be done with it. I like to look at it more and don't feel so sick of it I want to put it away. Some of the older patches make more sense in the overall scheme of the quilt.
Someone told me once that a tapestry, should you look on the back, makes no sense. There are random colors and strings everywhere. It looks a mess. However, when you turn it over, the placements of the dark threads against the light, having only one color for two stitches...it begins to make sense.
Once again I am grateful.

No comments:
Post a Comment